Raw Jackfruit or Ee(n)chor is eaten as a vegetable and not just eaten but is a delicacy in Bengali Vegetarian cuisine! And in Bengali it's also jokingly called 'Gaachh Paa(n)tha'.... literally translated, that would mean 'Tree + Goat meat'..and meant to say that Raw Jackfruit curry tastes as good as Goat Meat, but is of course vegetarian !! ;))
As a kid I would neither touch or taste either the ripe or raw version of the fruit/vegetable. As I grew up, I developed a taste for the vegetable version but the strong aroma of the fruit version (Kathaal) could never lure me into tasting it!
Seeing the rare sight of raw Jackfruits on the shelves of the supermarket and knowing my homehelp would take care of the tough part of cutting it, I bought a medium sized one.
Tender raw jackfruit, cut into small cubes and blanched/steamed in salt water
One small onion chopped
One small onion paste
Ginger paste - 1 tsp
Garlic paste - 1 tsp
Tomato chopped (optional)
Two potatoes cubed
Bay leaf / Tej Pata - 1
Garam Masala whole - 3-4 elaichi (Cardamom) + 1 " cinnamon stick + 2-3 clove pieces
Haldi (Turmeric) powder - 1 tbsp
Jeera (Cumin) Powder - 1 tsp
Chili powder - 1 tsp
Kashmiri Mirch - 1 tsp
Salt to taste
Sugar - 1 tbsp
Mustard Oil preferably
1. Smear the potato cubes with salt and turmeric and fry and Keep aside
2. Lightly fry the cubed and blanched jackfruit pieces. Keep aside
3. In oil, throw the Bay leaf and whole Garam Masala.
4. Add a tsp of Garlic paste
5. Add a pinch of sugar and the finely chopped onions.6. Fry till light brown, then add the ginger paste followed by onion paste. Fry well till nicely browned.
7. Make a mix of the masala paste - Turmeric + Jeera powder + Kashmiri mirch + Chili Powder + salt with little water
8. Add to the fried onions. Cook well on medium to high heat (Koshano as we say in Bengali) till the oil separates out.
9. Add the blanched and fried Jackfruit / Ee(n)chor pieces into the masala and mix well on medium heat. Sprinkle some water if too dry. Add the potatoes.
Finish off with a dash of ghee (clarified butter)...